As a Tile Setter, your duties may include: Laying and setting tiles to create decorative wall, mural and floor designs. Cutting and fitting tiles around obstacles and openings using hand and power cutting tools. Preparing, measuring and marking surfaces to be covered.
- Location: 335 Shawnessy Drive SWCalgary, ABT2Y 1J2On the road job
- Salary: $25.00 hourly for 30 to 44 hours per week
- Terms of employment: Permanent employment
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- Vacancies: 2 vacancies
Tile and marble setters are responsible for installing hard tiles, wood, and marble in homes and offices. They determine the tile or marble pattern layout, cut and shape the tiles to size, and expertly install flooring fixtures using hand and machine tools.
We are looking for a skilled tile and marble setter to join our installation team. As a tile and marble setter, you will meet with clients to discuss their tiling needs, order stock supplies, cut tiles and marble to size, and install tiles and marble fittings to specification. You may also be required to prepare quotes and complete job reports.
To ensure success as a tile setter, you should have extensive knowledge of tiling and marbling techniques, a good eye for detail, and excellent communication skills. A top-notch tile setter expertly installs tiles and marble to meet the needs of the customer.
Tile Setter Responsibilities:
- Meeting with clients to discuss their tiling and marbling needs.
- Measuring the area that must be tiled or marbled to determine stock requirements.
- Providing clients with accurate quotes for the intended job.
- Ordering stock supplies and gathering tiling equipment.
- Cutting and shaping tiles or marble to size.
- Cleaning and leveling the surface area.
- Applying tiling cement and arranging tiles or marble according to design plans.
- Applying tiling grout.
- Cleaning off excess grout and conducting post-installation inspections.
- Processing work invoices.
Tile Setter Requirements:
- High school diploma or GED.
- Previous experience as a tile and marble setter.
- Good communication skills.
- Basic carpentry skills.
- Advanced mathematical skills.
- Ability to operate hand and machine cutting tools.
- Knowledge of tiling designs and installation techniques.
- Ability to work crouching or kneeling for long periods.
- Good problem-solving skills.
- Secondary (high) school graduation certificate
7 months to less than 1 year
On the road job
Work locations may vary. Frequent or constant travel is required from the employee.
- On-site customer service
- Prepare, measure and mark surfaces to be covered
- Mix, apply and spread mortar, cement, mastic, glue or other adhesives using hand trowel
- Prepare rough plans and sketches
- Set tiles in place and apply pressure to affix them to base
- Align and straighten tiles
- Cut and fit tiles around obstacles and openings using hand and power cutting tools
- Pack grout into joints between tiles and remove excess grout
- Lay and set mosaic tiles to create decorative wall, mural and floor designs
- Install tile strips
Security and safety
- Criminal record check
- Driver’s validity licence check
Work conditions and physical capabilities
- Physically demanding
- Bending, crouching, kneeling
- Steel-toed safety boots
This employer promotes equal employment opportunities for all job applicants, including those self-identifying as a member of these groups: Indigenous people, Newcomers to Canada, Veterans
Who can apply to this job?
Only apply to this job if:
- You are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada.
- You have a valid Canadian work permit.
If you are not authorized to work in Canada, do not apply. The employer will not respond to your application.
How to apply